Featured Post

The Christian Perspective on the Old Testament

Unfortunately, too many Christians have allowed themselves to harbor extreme views with regard to the role which they permit the Old Testame...

Saturday, October 7, 2023

The problem with trying to isolate ourselves from the world

Unfortunately, it seems that there have always been elements within the Christian community who have sought to separate/isolate themselves from the wider community - the world. Whether we are speaking of monks or nuns cloistering together in a monastery or convent, or Amish and Mennonite communities seeking to insulate themselves from the modern world, we see that these impulses have always existed within the Christian community to withdraw from the sinfulness of the world around us. Indeed, some sects and cults have formed their own community or village (as in the Branch Davidians and Peoples Temple) with disastrous consequences (Waco and Jonestown).

Moreover, we've seen this same impulse play out on a larger scale with regard to some corners of the Christian community's attitudes toward education. Many denominations have established private schools for their members, while others have turned to homeschooling their children. The impetus, of course, is to protect the Christian child from being tainted or polluted by the ideas and sinfulness of the society which surrounds them. Nevertheless, the questions that we (Christians) should really be asking are: Is this what Jesus wanted for his disciples? Did Christ want his followers to isolate themselves from the world to protect their beliefs and way of life?

In the Gospel of John, we are informed that Jesus prayed for his followers just before he was arrested and condemned to death. We read there that he said: "My prayer is not for the world, but for those you have given me, because they belong to you. All who are mine belong to you, and you have given them to me, so they bring me glory. Now I am departing from the world; they are staying in this world, but I am coming to you. Holy Father, you have given me your name; now protect them by the power of your name so that they will be united just as we are. During my time here, I protected them by the power of the name you gave me. I guarded them so that not one was lost, except the one headed for destruction, as the Scriptures foretold. Now I am coming to you. I told them many things while I was with them in this world so they would be filled with my joy. I have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one. They do not belong to this world any more than I do. Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth. Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world. And I give myself as a holy sacrifice for them so they can be made holy by your truth. I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me." (John 17:9-21, NLT)

So, according to Jesus, the Christian's uniqueness was inherent in their profession of faith in him and in their determination to follow his example - NOT in separating themselves from the world around them! Jesus prayed that God would protect his disciples from the wiles and deceptions of Satan - NOT that God would isolate and protect them from non-Christians! Once again, the Christian's uniqueness and separateness resided in his/her relationship with Jesus Christ and his message - NOT in withdrawing from the wider community! Indeed, Jesus implied that his followers would serve as a witness/example to the rest of the world! The Christian would be expected to live within the world and keep him/herself from being polluted by it (James 1:27).

Likewise, in the Gospel of Matthew, we read that Christ told his followers: "You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father." (5:14-6) Indeed, the commission which Christ gave to his disciples prior to his ascension to heaven makes clear that Christ was sending his disciples INTO the world. He said: "Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you." (Matthew 28:19-20)

Finally, if all of that wasn't clear enough, Christ once gave a parable which made crystal clear that Christ didn't want the worldly folks "weeded out" of his field. Once again, in the Gospel of Matthew, we read: "Here is another story Jesus told: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is like a farmer who planted good seed in his field. But that night as the workers slept, his enemy came and planted weeds among the wheat, then slipped away. When the crop began to grow and produce grain, the weeds also grew. The farmer’s workers went to him and said, ‘Sir, the field where you planted that good seed is full of weeds! Where did they come from?’ ‘An enemy has done this!’ the farmer exclaimed. 'Should we pull out the weeds?’ they asked. ‘No,’ he replied, ‘you’ll uproot the wheat if you do. Let both grow together until the harvest. Then I will tell the harvesters to sort out the weeds, tie them into bundles, and burn them, and to put the wheat in the barn." (13:24-20)

And, so that there wouldn't be any room for misunderstanding, later, Christ explained the meaning of the parable to his followers. He said: "The Son of Man is the farmer who plants the good seed. The field is the world, and the good seed represents the people of the Kingdom. The weeds are the people who belong to the evil one. The enemy who planted the weeds among the wheat is the devil. The harvest is the end of the world, and the harvesters are the angels." (Verses 37-39) In other words, I don't want my children separating themselves from Satan's children! Jesus Christ understood that this very human impulse only produced bad fruit. The intent was to protect the good from being corrupted by the bad, but it is as they say - "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions!"


No comments:

Post a Comment