Featured Post

The Christian Perspective on the Old Testament

Unfortunately, too many Christians have allowed themselves to harbor extreme views with regard to the role which they permit the Old Testame...

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

A Higher Plane

Yesterday, Ranger posted The Absoluteness of God on the Banned by HWA blog. The author pointed out that the anthropomorphic language used in Scripture to describe God was NOT meant to be taken literally. In other words, God is NOT just a better version of us. Indeed, the author advocates for a much grander view of God than what is common among most of those who hold to a fundamentalist or literalist view of Scripture. The thesis of the article is that God is NOT bounded or limited by that which confines and limits us! I hope that that theme will appear familiar to my readers.

Unfortunately, instead of acknowledging that we are made in the image of God, too many Christians have flipped the script and have attempted to remake God in our image! Indeed, in some of the commentary on the post, a few folks made clear that they believe God looks, thinks, and acts like us, and that "he" must act within the confines of our reality. To be clear, this view contradicts and/or ignores a whole lot of Scripture.

In my response to one of those comments, I wrote: "As for the notion, that our minds operate on the God plane - consider the following: In the book of Isaiah, we read: "'My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,' says the Lord. 'And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.'" (55:8-9) Also, we read that God told Samuel (a man who had God's Spirit), "The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." (I Samuel 16:7) Also, in Isaiah, we read: "To whom will you compare me? Who is my equal?" (46:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment