Featured Post

The Christian Perspective on the Old Testament

Unfortunately, too many Christians have allowed themselves to harbor extreme views with regard to the role which they permit the Old Testame...

Monday, October 2, 2023

Jesus IS the Plan!

Herbert Armstrong had a great deal to say about God's Master Plan for humankind. He also continuously characterized the doctrines of the Worldwide Church of God as the truth. However, although Jesus was certainly assigned a role to play in that plan and truth, Herbert Armstrong failed to comprehend that Jesus Christ WAS/IS the plan - HE was/is THE truth.

Why were Armstrong and his followers the only ones who were able to understand God's plan and truth? Herbert and company loved to quote this passage from the sixth chapter of the Gospel of John: "no one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them to me" (verse 44). For them, this explained why they were the only ones who understood the plan and had the truth. They simply could not see that Christ was at the center of this verse and so many others. The passage wasn't focused on what God was drawing them to, but WHO the Father was drawing them to - Jesus!

In that same Gospel, we read that Jesus also said: "Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. And you know the way to where I am going.' 'No, we don’t know, Lord,' Thomas said. 'We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?' Jesus told him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!'" (John 14:1-7, NLT)  

No comments:

Post a Comment