Featured Post

The Christian Perspective on the Old Testament

Unfortunately, too many Christians have allowed themselves to harbor extreme views with regard to the role which they permit the Old Testame...

Sunday, August 1, 2021

The reasons I continue to observe the Sabbath

In light of the fact that I have written extensively about my conviction that physical Sabbath observance is NOT a requirement for Christians under the terms of the New Covenant, many folks have expressed surprise (and consternation/dismay in some cases) when they discover that I continue to observe it myself. Moreover, many Sabbatarians have interpreted my rejection of many of the justifications put forward by other Sabbath-keepers for doing so as contradicting my own continued observance of it. For them, this is a classic example of cognitive dissonance.

Hence, just as I have felt compelled to explain my continued adherence to the Christian faith, and my continued reverence for the Judeo-Christian Scriptures, I am likewise compelled to provide a glimpse into my own thinking on this subject. To be clear, I don't believe that I have any responsibility to justify my beliefs or practices, and I do not feel the need to convert anyone else to them. I do, however, feel compelled to explain my perspective to those who have expressed bewilderment with my beliefs and practices and have sought to dismiss my voice as a consequence.

What follows is a distillation of some notes which I recently penned which attempt to explain why I continue to observe the Sabbath:

Because the Sabbath is portrayed in Scripture as a memorial of the fact that God is the Creator, and that he rested from his work when he was finished.

Because the Sabbath was incorporated into the fundamental/foundational Law of God (the Ten Commandments).

Because of what the Sabbath represents: The rest in Christ from our own works, and the rest in Christ we have to look forward to in the Kingdom.

Because Jesus, his apostles and the original mother church of Christianity at Jerusalem continued to observe the Sabbath.

Because the Sabbath provides a weekly opportunity to demonstrate my love for God and fellow humans.

Because the Sabbath provides an opportunity for me to demonstrate my appreciation for the Jewish part of my heritage (DNA).

Because the Sabbath provides a weekly opportunity for physical and emotional rest/relaxation/rejuvenation and thinking about more than the daily pressures and demands of this life (that which has been a habit of over 45 years feels very comfortable – part of a now natural rhythm).

At any rate, that represents my current thinking on the subject. I continue to hold my Sunday-keeping brethren in the same high regard which I have for my Sabbath-keeping ones. And, if my reasoning seems inadequate to those of you in either group, that's OK too! You don't have to answer for me, and I won't have to answer for you. As Paul once said, personal conviction is all important in terms of our faith and maintenance of a clear conscience before God.

  

2 comments:

  1. Miller:

    I believe your view of the Sabbath is what it should be for everyone since the introduction of the New Covenant. At the same time, I think it is a position that is difficult for people who have had a strong commitment to the letter of the Sabbath law to sustain. Some first century Jews who followed Jesus apparently fell back (or maybe never left it) into viewing the Mosaic Law as a requirement for salvation. And I think modern day Sabbatarians likewise would find it difficult to modify their thinking if they became convicted of the NC. I once asked a GCI minister last century about the continued observance of the FOT as just a religous conference. He said that he did not like the idea and would not attend because it conduces to "bad thinking." And that is the pitfall. For some it may be difficult to observe the re-purposed form of the Sabbath without relapsing into the traditional Sabbatarianism. By traditional Sabbatarianism I mean believing that the Sabbath as defined in the OT is considered a requirement for salvation.

    I follow Levitical guidelines regarding my diet. I don't eat unclean animals. But I am wholly committed to the idea that this has nothing to do with salvation. Nor does it make me holy. It is just a health practice in my view. Under exigent circumstances I would eat a ham sandwich without compunction.

    There is an "arm's length" position in this that I believe may be really difficult for some people with a history of observation to maintain. We all know that thinking breeds actions but is the reverse true also? Will actions breed thinking.

    Neo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neo,

      Thanks for the comment, and I absolutely concur with what you outlined above. Anyone who believes that Sabbath observance is a requirement or plays ANY role in their salvation under the terms of the New Covenant is on shaky and dangerous spiritual ground. I hope that these types of discussions will provoke thought in both camps (Sabbatarian and Sunday Christians) leading to greater tolerance, love and less legalistic/dogmatic thinking.

      Delete