Featured Post

Why Political Speech Is Inappropriate from the Pulpit!

For years now, I have been criticizing the preaching of politics from the pulpit. Why? What's so wrong with talking about issues and can...

Saturday, July 27, 2024

Do You See Jesus in Torah?

The Gospel of John informs us that the Jewish religious leaders of the First Century criticized Jesus for healing a lame man on the Sabbath and calling God his Father (John 5:1-18). A little later, he told them: "You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! Yet you refuse to come to me to receive this life. Your approval means nothing to me, because I know you don’t have God’s love within you. For I have come to you in my Father’s name, and you have rejected me. Yet if others come in their own name, you gladly welcome them. No wonder you can’t believe! For you gladly honor each other, but you don’t care about the honor that comes from the one who alone is God. Yet it isn’t I who will accuse you before the Father. Moses will accuse you! Yes, Moses, in whom you put your hopes. If you really believed Moses, you would believe me, because he wrote about me. But since you don’t believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?" (John 5:39-47, NLT) Sure, they were familiar with the dos and don'ts of Torah; but they didn't recognize the love which underpinned it, or the one to whom those writings pointed!

Likewise, a little later in the same Gospel, we read that Jesus told another group of Jews who were proud of their physical descent from Abraham, and that they worshipped his God: "You say, ‘He is our God,’ but you don’t even know him. I know him. If I said otherwise, I would be as great a liar as you! But I do know him and obey him. Your father Abraham rejoiced as he looked forward to my coming. He saw it and was glad." (John 8:54-56, NLT) Also, in the Gospel of Luke, Christ is reported to have said: "'When I was with you before, I told you that everything written about me in the law of Moses and the prophets and in the Psalms must be fulfilled.' Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures." (Luke 24:44-45, NLT) Finally, in the epistle to the Hebrews, we read: "Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets. And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son" (Hebrews 1:1-2, NLT). Thus, we see that this is the way that those who profess to be disciples of Jesus of Nazareth must interpret the Hebrew Scriptures. The PLAIN TRUTH is that Jesus Christ fulfilled these Scriptures.

For those who may be interested in this subject, you may want to check out these posts:

 https://godcannotbecontained.blogspot.com/2022/05/jesus-in-torah-genesis.html

https://godcannotbecontained.blogspot.com/2022/05/jesus-in-torah-exodus.html

https://godcannotbecontained.blogspot.com/2022/05/jesus-in-torah-leviticus.html

https://godcannotbecontained.blogspot.com/2022/06/jesus-in-torah-numbers.html

https://godcannotbecontained.blogspot.com/2022/06/jesus-in-torah-deuteronomy.html


No comments:

Post a Comment