Featured Post

The Christian Perspective on the Old Testament

Unfortunately, too many Christians have allowed themselves to harbor extreme views with regard to the role which they permit the Old Testame...

Thursday, August 4, 2022

A Christian

Back in 2015, I wrote a post entitled "Who is a Christian?" (Currently, the featured post on this blog). The thesis of the article was that a Christian can be identified by his/her behavior (which still represents my view). Even so, there is also a component of belief that must be part of that definition. After all, Christians have had their catechisms, credos, and confessions throughout most of their history as a religion.

However, as I have also pointed out many times in the past, most of these "statements of belief" have been far too detailed and complex (which necessarily excludes a whole bunch of people). As a consequence, I have often sought to distill the definition of what it means to be a Christian to only those elements that are essential or absolutely necessary. Thus, I have rejected those elements of the various catechisms, credos, and confessions which have been offered by Christians down through the centuries which I feel are superfluous/unnecessary.

Consider, for instance, the Nicene Creed:

I believe in one God,

the Father almighty,

maker of heaven and earth,

of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,

the Only Begotten Son of God,

born of the Father before all ages.

God from God, Light from Light,

true God from true God,

begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;

through him all things were made.

For us men and for our salvation

he came down from heaven,

and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,

and became man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,

he suffered death and was buried,

and rose again on the third day

in accordance with the Scriptures.

He ascended into heaven

and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory

to judge the living and the dead

and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,

who proceeds from the Father [and the Son],

who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,

who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.

I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins

and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead

and the life of the world to come. Amen.

-- The Encyclopedia Britannica on the Nicene Creed

Now, personally, I have no problem embracing the contents of this creed. However, in looking over those words, I am left with the distinct impression that this statement contains more than what is essential!

Is a statement on the nature of God essential? Is an affirmation of the basic story of the New Testament necessary? Is a statement of belief "in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church" essential? Now, I should also say that I completely understand the perspective of the folks who will answer YES to all of those questions. Nevertheless, I have concluded that the "belief" portion of what it means to be a Christian should be much simpler.

Based upon my own study of Scripture, I would like to suggest the following:

"A Christian must believe that Jesus of Nazareth is the fulfillment of the Torah (commandments, rituals and sacrifices) and prophets (especially those related to a Messiah) of the Hebrew Bible, and that his sacrifice paid the penalty for his/her sins - that his/her salvation is attributable only to him."

In another post entitled The Essentials of Christianity, I outlined eleven beliefs which I feel are foundational to the Christian religion, and that I feel that any organization which claims to represent the "ekklesia" should have these elements in their statement of beliefs. What do you think? I am really interested in hearing other opinions on what is essential or necessary relative to beliefs in defining who is or isn't a Christian (If your arguments are good, I'm open to expanding my definition). Even so, please remember to confine your offerings on this topic to ONLY those things which you believe to be essential! 

No comments:

Post a Comment