Featured Post

The Christian Perspective on the Old Testament

Unfortunately, too many Christians have allowed themselves to harbor extreme views with regard to the role which they permit the Old Testame...

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Christian or "Christian"

Stoned Stephen Society posted an excellent article over at Banned by HWA. The post, along with some of the comments it provoked, underscores the propensity of many believers to characterize themselves as "TRUE" Christians and others as "False" Christians. It is also interesting to note that the means most often used to evaluate the genuineness of the person's Christianity is their adherence to a particular set of doctrines. In this instance, adherence to mainstream/traditional Christian teachings are regarded by Armstrongites as disqualifying. Likewise, many Traditional Christians regard all Armstrongites as having no part in their fellowship because of their adherence to the heretical teachings of Herbert Armstrong.

Scripture, however, informs us that the presence of God's Holy Spirit is the only sure hallmark of a TRUE Christian (see Romans 8:9). And what is the evidence that the Holy Spirit is present in someone? In his letter to the Galatians, Paul wrote that "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." (see Galatians 5:22-23)

Now, I could be wrong, but it seems quite plausible (if not probable) to me that we might find this evidence to be lacking in many of the individuals within each group! Likewise, I have personally known folks in both groups who have clearly exhibited these "fruits." In other words, the thing that identifies whether or not a person is a Christian has very little to do with what one believes about the trinity or the timetable for the fulfillment of prophetic events! Oh sure, a person has to believe that Jesus is the Christ to be a Christian (see John 14:6, I John 5:1, etc.), but it appears the rest of this stuff is superfluous.

Hence, while we are busy excluding each other from membership in the body of Christ, it is comforting to understand that God knows those who belong to "Him." It is also comforting to me to contemplate the fact that this judgement is in the hands of One who is infinitely more merciful and magnanimous than we are. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Well I got triggered by your "crusader quote", from the siege of Beziers France, where they decided to kill indiscriminately because, "God would recognize his own."

    The first crusades were directed against the "heretics" only later muslims were targetted for taking Jerusalem.

    "Jerusalem" is a powerful symbol for peace (of mind). It seems budhists are the true christians, but I am hardly impartial since the philosophy of "dr" Hoeh/the esoteric "madam Blavatsky" of my youth influenced me when my wiring developed. I cant undo my wiring, I can only understand its functioning and act according to will.

    Nck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCK,

      I understand what triggered you, but one prejudice at a time! The original conversation was focused on who is/isn't a Christian. As some of my own past posts have indicated, I am happy to acknowledge that GOD has people among other faiths as well - folks who exhibit kindness, compassion, patience etc. for their fellow humans. Obviously, anyone who would twist this quote into an excuse to murder their neighbors is NOT a Christian!

      Delete
    2. Yes Miller.

      I don't think I ever "attacked speech" you, unless of course you posted anonymously versus my opinions. :-) :-) :-)

      I find the "qualifications for a christian or measure of the Holy Spirit" very interesting.

      I have related before that, due to my international travel, it was opportune for me to "identify myself" as "a person of faith", since otherwise the label "communist infiltrator" would hamper my positive intentions to learn abroad.

      Questioned by bearded persons in a Shiite shrine in Damascus I did even qualify my "faith" as leaning toward the "protestant" side rather than the catholic, but my confession of faith was enough to be welcomed further inside, although my wife of course needed to walk a different aisle, I mean common, people should know their place in the presence of God. And she was "patient and compassionate" about things as long as she can use a camera.

      Any political questions abroad I without compromise answer with, "decisions should be directed toward peace/salem/shalom" inside and between peoples, not a single person I ever encountered dared to disagree on that one and not many hurled insults at me within a sacred precinct, although I got "bribed" by "guides" for services rendered, but hey, God knows the heart, what do I know if the guy supported a sickly mother or a tribe of ofspring.

      In Aleppo in the (christian) Armenian quarter some ladies prepared for a wedding. I doubt my stare at the "kardashian beauties" was considered "the christian thing to do".

      My point.
      Public confessions of my weak points redeem me of the "protestant" promise I made elsewhere. I know, the carnal mind is enmity unto God, perhaps the Acts count not the package. Thinking about Acts since I brought up Damascus.

      nck

      Delete
    3. I appreciate your comments, even when we disagree. You have always presented yourself as a thoughtful person who seeks understanding and reconciliation. Finally, I don't do the anonymous thing (I know some folks like to play that game, but I don't). For better or worse, what you see is what you get with me! :)

      Delete
    4. Well, I may add that I broke the record for longest sentence "any to offspring." It may not even qualify as a sentence anymore.

      True. In the end I seek harmony. I struggle with harmony over justice. Perhaps that is exactly the gap God left for forgiveness or forgiving to fill.

      Nck

      Delete