Featured Post

The Christian Perspective on the Old Testament

Unfortunately, too many Christians have allowed themselves to harbor extreme views with regard to the role which they permit the Old Testame...

Sunday, March 6, 2016

A grandfather's delight

Yesterday, we took our two year old grandson to see his first movie on the big screen. I will never forget that look of wide-eyed wonderment on his face. He was transfixed by this new experience. He couldn't take his eyes off of the screen, and we couldn't take our eyes off of him.

Later, in reflecting on my grandson's reaction to the experience, I was reminded of his and his cousin's reactions to seeing the ocean and beach for the first time. I'll never forget the way that they explored the texture of the sand and tentatively approached the water's edge. They literally squealed with delight as the waves rolled toward them.

In reflecting on those firsts, I was also struck by the intensity of the pleasure that we derived from witnessing their wonderment. Is it possible that Almighty God experiences anything like that as "He" watches over us? Did God delight in Charles Darwin's exploration of the questions surrounding the origin of species? Did God exult in Albert Einstein's calculations and musings? In short, is it possible that God derives pleasure from our discovery of the world around us? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I so enjoyed it... We hope all is well. Roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of my daughter Jamie's first word, something like Whassit? She was pointing her finger at everything she came to and saying What is it? Can hardly believe my kids are in their 30s. Now our little grandson is exploring his world. --Dixon

    ReplyDelete