Featured Post

The Christian Perspective on the Old Testament

Unfortunately, too many Christians have allowed themselves to harbor extreme views with regard to the role which they permit the Old Testame...

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Job had ideas about God too!

Like all of us, Job had his notions about what God was like. Job had a set of beliefs and opinions about God that were based on incomplete and sometimes inaccurate knowledge. Nevertheless, Job held tenaciously to his beliefs throughout his trials and sufferings. Those beliefs kept him from sinking into despair and gave him confidence in himself - in his righteousness before God.

Even so, Job was clearly frustrated by his misfortunes. He felt that what had happened to him was unfair and unjust. In his arrogance and pride, Job was in a mood to confront God. He wanted to know: "What's going on here?" "Why has God allowed me to experience these things?" In short, Job wanted answers; and he clearly felt that he deserved them.

God, however, clearly had a different perspective on things. In fact, God's response to Job sounds exactly like something that God would say to all of us: "Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself like a man, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them." -- Job 38:1-3 God then proceeds to ask Job a series of questions relative to the creation of the earth and the life that inhabits it that no one alive today would be able to answer definitively. -- Job 38-41

When God was finished, Job finally realized that his beliefs and opinions were clearly not up to this Divine challenge. We read: "Then Job replied to the Lord: 'I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you. You asked, 'Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?' It is I - and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me. You said, 'Listen and I will speak! I have some questions for you, and you must answer them.' I had only heard about you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes. I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show (demonstrate) my repentance." -- Job 42:1-6

I think that there is a great deal of wisdom in Job's reply. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment