Featured Post

Sin is a failure to love God and each other!

In many posts, I have pointed out that Jesus Christ summarized the entirety of God's Law into two commandments: 1. You must love the Lor...

Saturday, October 5, 2024

Why Would I Bother to Listen or Respond to Anything That Pervert Has to Say?

I've often asked myself that question in looking back at my dalliance with the teachings of Herbert Armstrong. More recently, however, I have found myself at the receiving end of this question from some of the supporters and former supporters of Armstrong's teachings. Of course, the perversity of the question itself is not lost on me when one considers the fact that Herbie was guilty of incest, sought sex therapy, and divorced his second wife. Nevertheless, the fact that I am a Christian who also happens to be a homosexual leads some folks to ignore or dismiss anything I have to say on the subject of religion.

First, for someone who has been writing this blog for over ten years with an average of one hundred and fifty views on any given day (OK, sometimes it's five hundred to a thousand, but that's rare), it is ridiculous to even suggest that I care about going viral or am lusting after popularity. Simply stated, as someone whose own spiritual journey has been fraught with deception and abuse, I have felt like I might have something to say that would help someone else on their own spiritual journey. Indeed, I have often found myself extremely gratified by a single private comment in response to one of my posts. After all, I am acutely aware of the fact that I don't have all of the answers, and that I haven't received a Divine commission to save the world.

Nevertheless, I have been very conscientious about trying to make a positive contribution to my faith, family, friends, community, and the world around me. There was a time when I would have added country to that list, but anyone who is familiar with my posts is aware that that impulse has faded over the years. At any rate, in order to be a credible voice, I have made an extraordinary effort to be honest and believable. Toward that end, although it isn't anyone's business, I have lived a celibate life for the last two decades. In other words, I have NOT taken advantage of the freedom which I believe that I have in Jesus Christ. I live my life in accordance with the more traditional notions of Christianity related to human sexuality. I have done so in order to immunize myself against the charge of acting and teaching in my own self-interest. Stated yet another way, I cannot be charged with hypocrisy if I'm living according to the dictates of the consciences of potential critics! To be blunter, there is NO "homosexual behavior" happening in my own life.

Even so, some of the folks who have accepted the words of an incestuous pedophile (Herbie) and/or the words of a lying, adulterous, egocentric bully (Donald Trump) are quick to dismiss or ignore what little old me has to say! It reminds me of something that Paul warned Timothy about so many years ago. He wrote: "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions (II Timothy 4:3, ESV)." Oh well, if someone ignores or dismisses something out-of-hand, life is a lot easier - they don't have to actually answer or refute any challenges to their belief system! Yes, I completely understand. My thanks to those among you who have eyes to see and ears to hear and aren't afraid to entertain ideas which contradict your own beliefs.

4 comments:

  1. First, God does not hate gays. If He does, then He hates all people for their sins. I don't see that in my Bible. Mine says He loves us even though we hate Him.
    Second, it is illogical to say a homosexual person cannot say anything spiritually correct.

    We are all sinners. I sure am! What's the difference? I'm no one's judge. No one answers to me for their place in eternity. I am here to struggle with my own sin and help others struggle with theirs. I don't have time to judge others for theirs, or else I might as well just condemn myself for mine. I hope to be saved by a merciful God despite all my flaws, and so does every last Armstrongist out there.

    I stand by anyone who recognizes their need for a Savior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful and compassionate remarks. Like you, I need a Savior - Jesus Christ. We ALL do.

      Delete