Featured Post

The Christian Perspective on the Old Testament

Unfortunately, too many Christians have allowed themselves to harbor extreme views with regard to the role which they permit the Old Testame...

Sunday, August 13, 2023

How Israel Made God Hate His Sabbaths and Festivals!

In the Torah, God revealed his Sabbaths and Festivals to Israel and commanded them to observe them as important reminders of his covenant with them. Even so, among the books of the Hebrew canon covering Israel's history, we find that their observance of those appointed times often fell short of God's expectations. Indeed, during the entire history of the kingdom(s), we find that there were only a few times when the festivals were actually observed in the manner prescribed by Scripture.

Hence, when God raised up prophets to warn the people of Israel about the consequences of their many violations of the terms of his covenant with them, it is no great wonder that we find in them a number of references to those Sabbaths and Festivals.

In the book of Isaiah, we read: "When you come to appear before me, who has required of you this trampling of my courts? Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and Sabbath and the calling of convocations— I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hates; they have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them." (1:12-14, ESV) Israel's failure to cherish and observe God's Sabbaths and festivals had made them a burden to God - something he didn't enjoy or appreciate. Indeed, we see in this passage that God no longer regarded them as HIS appointed times!

Likewise, in the book of Hosea, God speaks of Israel as an unfaithful wife - one who has violated the terms of the marriage covenant. We read there: "Now I will uncover her lewdness in the sight of her lovers, and no one shall rescue her out of my hand. And I will put an end to all her mirth, her feasts, her new moons, her Sabbaths, and all her appointed feasts." (2:10-11) Notice, once again, the Sabbaths and festivals have become HERS, not God's.

Also, in the book of Amos, we read: "I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies. Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them; and the peace offerings of your fattened animals, I will not look upon them. Take away from me the noise of your songs; to the melody of your harps I will not listen. But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream." (5:21-24) The people of Israel became obsessed with the superficial appearance of righteousness. They had elevated the symbols of their faith and had completely ignored the weightier matters of the Law/Torah (Matthew 23:23).

No comments:

Post a Comment